Thursday 31 October 2013

Refill pads Vs Notebooks

This is a major topic I think in terms of keeping notes organised - do you use a notebook or a refill pad & folder?

For me, I use a refill pad and folder, I'll go through the pros and cons of each

Notebook 

Pros 
- all pages are stuck in a book - no single lost pages
- notebooks can have dividers - you can have different sections
- most notebooks allow you to rip the paper out afterwards - once you're finished with the notebook you can put the notes in the appropriate place
- you barely have to worry about the pages ripping in a folder (via the holes)

Cons
- you don't know how big the sections need to be, so for me I would start in the middle of the book for one module, but the first module might run over - then what? two books!?
- if you have a separate notebook for each module you could end up taking 2-3 notebooks to Uni at a time
- you still have to file it in a folder afterwards
- theres nowhere to place handouts/extra sheets without the chance of them falling out
- you always think "I need to stick that in" but very rarely do


Refill pad/folder 

Pros
- organised from the start with dividers
- place to put handouts and timetables
- option to place things in the folder without hole punching or glue (wallets)
- carry work to be submitted in them
- easy to keep a refill pad at the back, which is easily replaced when its run out

Cons
- paper can rip quite easily and therefore fall out if the holes rip (due to the ring binder)
- can become quite bulky if you keep all the notes in it
- best not to keep all of your notes in, and if you take them out then you no longer have them with you for every lecture to refer to (though see The Scanner)


So the one I use is the Refill pad/folder - I used to have notebooks for A level, but it just became inconvenient as I studied 4 subjects and sometimes had to bring in 4 large notebooks. Although if you don't stay organised with a folder then it can be a foe rather than a friend.


Refill pads 

My favourite brand of refill pads are the Oxford brand, but they're quite expensive, so I go for Pukka pads instead. The paper feels nice, its thick enough so that pen doesn't seep through onto the other side, the holes hold quite well in a folder and it just gives a nice feel to your notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment