Thursday 31 October 2013

The Scanner

My printer (Brother) is a photocopier and scanner as well and I can tell you that the scanning part is SO USEFUL.

Let me tell you why. 

1. Storing notes - if you write notes on paper (like I do) you can scan them in once you've written them up and before they go in the module folders. This way you have an electronic copy of them. Now if you use some sort of cloud storage device - Skydrive, iCloud, Google drive (the one I use), Dropbox etc, you can have your notes accessible anywhere. So if you have a tablet, you can access them on there, if you leave you need to see your notes whilst you're home for the holidays you can see them on your computer rather than having to take them all with you. (Assuming you work or revise over christmas of course). 

2. Labs - quite often you will have to write a practical report and then submit it, it may take a while to get back and in some cases (mine for example) I haven't been given them back, but I'd really like a copy, so what I do is just scan them, then I have a copy for myself and can submit the original for marking. 

3. Revision materials - in my course we have to learn a lot of processes, which involve diagrams and different steps. In my notes I quite often draw out really detailed diagrams and when it comes to revision it can take time to do it again. However if you scan in your notes or photocopy them, you can have another copy of the diagrams which can be cut up and mounted on card - for flashcards, snap games, matching the description to the picture etc. That way you spent a lot less time rewriting things onto card and can spend more time actually going through the material. 



No comments:

Post a Comment